Friday, May 16, 2014

52 Stories, 52 Weeks: 'This enables me to feed my daughter'

Heidi, from Maywood, struggles to afford food for her 9-year-old daughter.
In order for her 9-year-old daughter to have a healthy life, Heidi is more than willing to make sacrifices in her own life.

One of those sacrifices is food.

“I’ve been skipping meals so my daughter can eat,” she said. “We don’t have a lot as it is, but what little we do have I give to her when there’s not enough for both of us.”

Heidi is on disability and receives $152 per month in SNAP benefits. She’s unable to work more than 25 hours per week, so finding a job to support her daughter has been difficult.

“I’m able to pay for a roof over my head and can barely make my utility payments, but I don’t have anything left over for food,” she said.

Heidi visits the Canaan AME Church food pantry in Maywood once a week.

“When you don’t get that much in SNAP, anything helps,” Heidi said.

At the pantry, Heidi receives meat, produce and nonperishable food.

“It enables me to feed both my daughter and myself,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment